November 29, 2011
The Korea Institute for National Unification (KINU) has released the second book of a four-year project (2010-2013), which will culminate in a grand strategy for Korean unification. The current book, edited by Choi Jin-Wook has been given the self-explanatory title US-China Relations and Korean Unification.
The book summarizes several international forums on the implications of US-China relations for Korean unification held throughout 2011. Each forum was organized by a planning committee of 20 experts on North Korea and international politics, which was involved in every aspect of the forum, from selecting speakers and topics for discussion to participating in the discussions and offering policy suggestions. Forum members included:
- Choi Jinwook, Senior Research Fellow and Director of Center for North Korean Studies at Korea Institute for National Unification.
- Choo Jaewoo, Professor at the Department of Chinese Studies, Kyung Hee University
- Han Yong-sup, Vice President of Korea National Defense University and Director of Research Institute for National Security Affairs.
- Hong Kwan-Hee, Professor at the Department of North Korea Studies, Korea University.
- Hong Woo-Taek, Research Fellow at Korea Institute for National Unification.
- Hong Yong Pyo, Professor at the Department of Political Science, Hanyang University.
- Hyun Sung-il, Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of National Security and Strategy.
- Kim Changsu, Senior Research Fellow at Korea Institute for Defense Analyses.
- Kim Hosup, Professor at the Department of International Relations, Chung-Ang University. President (2012), Korea Political Science Association.
- Kim Hyun-Chong, President and Chief Legal Officer, Samsung Electronics. Former Trade Minister of ROK and Ambassador to UN.
- Kim Jin-Ha, Research Fellow at Korea Institute for National Unification.
- Kim Taehyun, Professor of International Relations and Director of the Center for the Study of Grand Strategy at Chung-Ang University.
- Kim Yong-ho, Professor at Department of Political Science & International Relations, Inha University
- Kim Young-ho, Chair and Professor at the Department of International Relations, Korea National Defense University.
- Lee Eugene, Professor at Department of Political Science, Sookmyung University.
- Lee Sang-Hyun, Direct-general for Policy Planning, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Lee Suk, Research Fellow at Korea Development Institute.
- Ryoo Kihl-jae, Professor at the University of North Korean Studies.
- Yoo Ho-yeol, Professor at the Department of North Korea Studies, Korea University and President of Korea Policy Research Center.
- Yu Hyun-Seok, Professor at the Department of Political Science and International Relations, Kyung Hee University.
Importantly, the current book brings a degree of high-level academic attention to the issue with articles by John S. Park (USIP), Lowell Dittmer (UC Berkeley), Fei-Ling Wang (Georgia Institute of Technology), John Ikenberry (Princeton) and David Lampton (John Hopkins).
The book presents a useful contribution to unification debate at an important point of time as South Korea seeks to balance its relationship between China and the United States. The e-book can be accessed from the KINU website at: